Piña Colada

Frozen fruit whipped into a delicious dessert is one of my favorite things. Today I added dry instant pudding mix. The pudding mix does two things. First it adds a little sugar and flavor. Second it fluffs and adds some thickening to whatever frozen fruit it is combined with.

At one point I was using sugar-free fat-free pudding which I think is okay occasionally, but being a little afraid of artificial sweeteners and hating stevia and those kind of sweeteners the way I do, I decided on using the regular pudding mixes. Half a serving of regular pudding mix adds 1 PointPlus which is the same as a whole serving of the artificially sweetened pudding mixes. Yea!

My 25 year old Cuisinart never complains at puréeing rock hard fruit but all food processors are not created equal and a friend told me the motor of her name brand food processor seized under the strain of frozen bananas. Sad.

When I found out about this amazing "fruit ice cream" I couldn't believe it. I immediately searched YouTube and found a host of videos. It was like I won the lottery. One thing I noticed with all the people using a food processor to make this yummy stuff is that they had to stop the process a couple of times to scraped down the bowl and push and smooch the fruit down around the blades with a spatula. I found this to be true for myself, but I hated how hard it was to get the fruit smooched hard enough that the blades would whip it.

Tanner solved my problem. He cut a flexible plastic lid to fit in the Cuisinart and cut a hole in the middle for the handle of the blade to stick through. Now when the fruit is just hovering above the blade, I switch it off, open it up and push it down all around the blade. Because my new little tool is flexible I can give it a pinch and pull it out before I put the lid back on. I only have to do it once during the process. The spatula method took me two or three times.

Piña Colada Frozen Dessert
140 grams unsweetened frozen pineapple chunks
12 grams dry coconut cream pudding mix

Place the fruit in the bottom of the Cuisinart. Process until it becomes a frozen puréed creamy mixture. Add the pudding powder and pulse until incorporated.

Nutrition Information
Dole unsweetened frozen pineapple chunks 3/4 cup (140 grams): Fat 0g, Carbohydrates 19g, Fiber 2g, Protein 2g and PointsPlus 2*

Jello Pudding Coconut Cream Instant Pudding and Pie Filling 1/2 serving (12 grams): Fat 1.3, Carbs 10.5, Fiber 0, Protein 0 and PointsPlus 1

Entire Dessert PointsPlus 3

* WW deems fruit “free” but only allows 2 servings a day. I decided to track fruit the way I do everything else . This way I can have as much fruit as I want within points and still lose weight. WIN! Using the "free" fruit option would make this only 1 PointsPlus.

I keep and use my kitchen scale in inexpensive twist tie
bags to keep it gunk free.

No comments:

Post a Comment